Guayama, Puerto Rico is a municipality in the Southern Coastal Valley bordered by the Caribbean Sea, west of Arroyo and Patillas, east of Salinas and south of Cayey. They have a population of 44,301 based on a 2000 census.
Guayama, Puerto Rico was founded by Matias de Abadia on January 29, 1736. However, there were speculations that the place had already been inhabited by native Indians by the year 1567. The name of the municipality came from an Indian leader who ruled the island of the southeastern region, with its name when translated to English is “Great Place”.
Governor Don Tomás de Abadía affirmed Guayama a town. Construction of Casa del Rey or the King’s House completed its construction in 1828 from the 200 houses, central plaza and a church in 1776.
The flag of Guayama has three stripes consisting of the color red, yellow and black starting at the bottom. Red signifies blood shed from the Taino Indians during their fight with the Spaniards. Yellow symbolizes the main industry in Puerto Rico as the sugar cane. The black represents African slaves of the country’s past. Old Mill is located at the upper left corner of the black stripe, which nowadays is recognized as the Molino de Vives.
Guayama, Puerto Rico now consists of 19 Barrios or Wards with Algarrobo to be the most populated, while Pozo Hondo has the fewest residents. The temperature is 81 degrees F with an average of 52 inches of yearly precipitation.
Guayama’s education system has several private high schools and only three public high schools. However, more than 12 public schools can be found at intermediate and elementary levels.