The parish of La Massana is located at the northern part of Andorra. Its name comes from a variety of apple grown there, “mattianam” in Latin. There are at least 11 villages in La Massana which includes famous vacation spots such as Arinsal and Pal.
Places to Visit:
• Sant Climent de Pal – A Romanesque church that was constructed during the 12th century. It is located in Pal. During July and August, the church is open at 10am to 1pm and again 3pm and 7pm. For the rest of the year, it is only accessible during mass hours.
• Church of Sant Iscle and Santa Victòria – Another Romanesque church that is located at the old district of La Massana.
• Coma Pedrosa – The highest mountain in Andorra. It is famous destination for mountain climbers. Although the terrain is rough, it is not difficult for most mountain climbers.
Things to Do:
• Winter sports – Due to its location, some of the peaks in La Massana receive a large amount of good quality snow. Even during the summer, some of the snow is still left. La Massana is one of the most popular destinations for winter sports.
• Hiking and mountain climbing – La Massana has mostly a mountainous terrain with more than 5 mountains located in the parish. The highest peak, Coma Pedrosa offers a very good trail of hiking and mountaineering. Although it is very rugged, it’s relatively safe and not entirely difficult to conquer. There are also lush forests of pines, wild cherries and firs where you can go hiking.
• Canoeing and fishing – There are four lakes and three main rivers in La Massana. You have plenty of choices to fish or go canoeing.