Mutare is the fourth largest city in Zimbabwe and is the capital of the Manicaland province. Even though it is located in Africa, the temperature in Mutare is surprisingly cool with an annual average of 19 degrees Celsius. This is due to the mountains that surround the city which happens to be very lush and green especially during the wet season from December to February.
There are many tourist attractions in Mutare; from theaters to nature reserves.
• Utopia House Museum – Located 2 miles from the city of Mutare. It houses a variety of antique collections. The design of the interior is made to resemble the early 1900’s. Aside from viewing antiques, you can also view excellent plays in the Phoenix Theater inside the museum.
• Civic Center Complex – It is the administrative center of Mutare. It is also a great destination for tourists because the building houses the Turner Memorial Library, Courtland Theater and the Mayor’s Parlour; all of which are open to the public.
• Mutare Museum – Contains more than 500 species of birdlife as well as the various flora and fauna native to the Manicaland province. It also has an interesting collection of native antiques which include weapons and various firearms.
• Caravan Park – Is a great place to go camping. It is located 3 miles away from the city on the road leading to Harare. Tourists can expect a fantastic view of the city. You can stay for a number of days there because of the laundry and cooking facilities.
• Cecil Kop Nature Reserve – One of the main tourist attractions in Mutare. It is located just 2 miles from the city. Visitors and tourists can see various species of wildlife native in Zimbabwe living in their natural condition. It is open to the public every day.