Pha That Luang is a 16th century Buddhist stupa located in the Vientiane City, Laos. It was built by the Emperor Setthathirat in the 16th century on the remains of Khmer temple belonging to the 13th century.
It is believed that the Khmer temple stands on a 3rd century temple which was built by Buddhist missionaries who were sent to this place by the Emperor Ashoka to house the relics of Buddha.
In the 16th century the Emperor Setthathirat made the Vientiane City as the capital of Laos. In the year 1566 the construction of the Pha That Luang had begun and the entire complex was covered with golden leafs.
In 1828 the Pha That Luang was badly damaged during the Thai invasion. In the 1930 the Pha That Luang was rebuilt based on the paintings of Louis Delaporte, a French architect.
The Pha That Luang has three levels and a number of statues of Buddha can be seen here. Buddhists from all over world come to Pha That Luang as a part of their quest, at the same Pha That Luang attracts tourists from around the world.