The town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber is located in the Ansbach district of the Franconia region in Bavaria, Germany and quite close to the Tauber River. Rothenburg ob der Tauber is recognized for being a well conserved medieval town.
Rothenburg ob der Tauber is one of the places located on the Romantic Road and is famous for preserving the remnants of the medieval period. The town is bounded by a number of walls and towers that have been guarding the town for several ages. The interior wall which was built in the 13th century still remains. This wall has steps at different ends where one can easily walk up to the top of the wall.
On the side of Tauber River there are several town halls and castle gardens dating back to the year 960. The St Peter and Paul cathedral built in the year 968, one of the only Roman churches of this area, is also located in this part if the town.
The Ratstrinkstube building, which is located within the town, includes a clock from the year 1631. The clock rings for every hour from 8.00 am to 10.00 pm. Rathaus Hall is also located within the town. It was built in the Gothic style in 1250, and an additional Renaissance building was added to the previous building in the year 1572. This building was used as a government building in Rothenburg ob der Tauber in the during the medieval times. There is a museum inside the bottom of the building which displays the history of the town.
In the present times, Rothenburg ob der Tauber has become a favorite spot for film shootings. In fact, the village was the main setting for the film “Pinocchio”, released by Walt Disney in the year 1940, and also for the main setting in the film “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” which was released in1968.