The São Paulo Museum of Art, also called Museu de Arte de São Paulo in Portugese, is a museum of art situated on Paulista Avenue in the São Paulo city, Brazil. It is widely popular for its control centre, a 1968 glass and concrete composition designed by Lina Bo Bardi. The focal body is held up by two side beams over a 74-metre self supporting space. It is noted as an attraction of the city and a chief symbol of contemporary Brazilian architecture.
The São Paulo Museum is a non profit private foundation. It was initiated in the year 1947 by Pietro Maria Bardi and Chateaubriand. The museum made a distinction from other museums for a lot of significant schemes involving art education and musicology in Brazil, and also for its initiative position as a cultural centre, too. It was also the first Brazilian museum that showed interest with the artistic propensities of the Post World War II.
The São Paulo Museum is globally known for its collected works of Western art, which is said to be the greatest in Latin America and in the whole Southern Hemisphere. It also serves as the home of categorical collections of Brazilian art, drawings and prints, as well as tinier collections of Asian and African art. The whole collection of art work is recorded as a Brazilian National Heritage. Among the most notable and significant art works are paintings by Goya, Rembrandt, Matisse, Renoir, Van Gogh, Modigliani, Monet, Dali, and Picasso. Among the best sculpted works are an atypical Renoir, and works by Rodin and Degas. The museum also includes a cinema, a restaurant and an auditorium.