When one goes to Singapore, one would of course have to look for a place to stay. If one would like that stay to not only be enjoyable but be filled with a historic feel, than one should consider staying in the Raffles Hotel found in Beach Road, Singapore.
The Raffles Hotel has been around Singapore for more than 120 years now. Put up in 1887 by four Armenian brothers and named after Sir Stamford Raffles, the founder of Singapore, started as a 10-room colonial bungalow. At that time it was one of the most modern buildings in Singapore. As time went by, more buildings were added expanding the hotel to accommodate more guests and add additional facilities.
Before the 1930’s, the hotel didn’t accept Asian guests. The Japanese occupation devastated the hotel. At the end of the Japanese occupation, 300 Japanese soldiers took their lives in the hotel with the use of grenades. After the devastation that World War II brought and the hardships that followed, the hotel was able to rebuild..
In 1987, on its 100th year, the hotel was declared a national monument. Two years later, the hotel closed down for renovations. In 1991, the hotel reopened after extensive renovation costing160 million Singaporean dollars. In addition to the renovation, an extension that housed more rooms and a shopping arcade was built.
Historic events connected to the hotel include the invention of the Singaporean Sling, a famous cocktail in Singapore, and the killing of the last Singaporean tiger on its premises. The Long Bar, the hotel’s bar and steakhouse, has been featured as one of the top ten bars in the world. There is also a museum that can be found on the third floor of the arcade. The Raffles Hotel Museum and Jubilee Hall features the history of the hotel.