The Royal Mews is found in the Buckingham Palace complex, just south of the palace gardens, and is open a few hours a day from March to October. The building is subject to be shut down on short notice. Still, it is a popular place for everyone who wishes to view the British Royal Family’s horses and coaches. The Royal Mews have been at Buckingham Palace since the 1820s, when King George IV moved the stables from the old Mews that were where Trafalgar Square now stands.
The stables and the coach houses of the Royal Mews was designed by John Nash in 1825. The big draw is the Gold State Coach, which was built for George III in 1761. The panels are by Giovanni Cipriani. The other coaches are the Irish Coach, which was bought by Queen Victoria for the opening Parliament, the Scottish State Coach, the Australian State Coach, Queen Alexandra’s Coach and King Edward VII’s Coach, to name a few. The visitor can also revel in the sight of the open royal landau and Glass Coach, which is put into service for royal weddings and foreign ambassadors. There are also limousines like Bentleys and Rolls Royces that are also at the Mews.
Most of the horses are sturdy and well-conformed Cleveland Bay, thoroughbred crosses and beautiful Windsor Greys. These horses have a light and agile look while being strong enough to pull the ornate coaches. Visitors might also get to witness the coaches and the limousines being serviced. They can also see the riding school, which is used to train the horses. The riding school has been around since the 1760’s and is believed to have been designed by William Chambers. Tourists can also visit the Mews’ shop.